READINGS FOR COURSE PACKET
CLASSICS 320 - Women in Classical Antiquity
Instructor: Lillian Doherty
Spring semester 1995
1) Timeline and "A Brief History of Greece" - L. Doherty, unpublished materials
2) John Winkler, The Constraints of Desire: The Anthropology of Sex and Gender in Ancient Greece (NY and London: Routledge, 1990), pp. 1-5.
3) Elizabeth Wayland Barber, Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years (NY: W.W. Norton & Co., 1994), pp. 286-300.
4) Jill Dubisch, "Gender, Kinship and Religion: 'Reconstructing' the Anthropology
of Greece" (excerpt) in Contested Identities: Gender and Kinship in Modern Greece,
ed. Peter Loizos and Evthymios Papataxiarchis (Princeton University Press, 1991),
5) Anna Meigs, "Multiple Gender Ideologies and Statuses," in Beyond the Second Sex: New Directions in the Anthropology of Gender, ed. Peggy Reeves Sanday and Ruth Goodenough (Philadelphia: Univ. of Pennsylvania Press, 1990), pp. 99-112.
6) Sara Mitter, Dharma's Daughters: Contemporary Indian Women and Hindu Culture (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers Univ. Press, 1991), pp. 13-23.
7) Belinda Hurmence, ed., My Folks Don't Want Me To Talk About Slavery:
Twenty-one Oral Histories of Former North Carolina Slaves (Winston-Salem, NC:
John F. Blair, Publisher, 1984), pp. 35-39 and 67-74. (Copyright holder Belinda Hurmence)
8) Margaret Ehrenberg, Women in Prehistory (Norman: U. of Oklahoma Press,
pp. 63-76 and 108-118. (Copyright holder Margaret Ehrenberg)
9) Marija Gimbutas, The Civilization of the Goddess (HarperSanFrancisco, a division of HarperCollins Publishers, 1991), pp. vii-xi.
10) Nanno Marinatos, Art and Religion in Thera: Reconstructing a Bronze Age Society (Athens: D. and I. Mathioulakis [Address: Andromedas 1, Athens 16231], pp. 7-10 and 52-72.
11) Kenneth Atchity and E.J.W. Barber, "Greek Princes and Aegean Princesses: The Role of Women in the Homeric Poems," in Critical Essays on Homer, ed. Kenneth Atchity with Ron Hogart and Doug Price (Boston: G.K. Hall & Co., 1987), pp. 15-36 (copyright held by Kenneth Atchity).
12) Ruby Rohrlich-Leavitt, excerpt from "Women in Transition: Crete and Sumer," in Becoming Visible, ed. R. Bridenthal and C. Koontz, 1st ed. (1977), pp. 42-50.
13) Rodney Castleden, "The Minoan Personality," in Minoans: Life in Bronze Age Crete (London & New York: Routledge, 1990), pp. 158-178. (Copyright holder Rodney Castleden)
14) Shelley Haley, "Black Feminist Thought and Classics," in Feminist Theory and the Classics, ed. Nancy Sorkin Rabinowitz and Amy Richlin (NY & London: Routledge, 1993), pp. 23-43.