Women in Antiquity: CLAS 330/HUM 330/WS 330 (3 units)
Presession, Summer 1995: Monday, May 15 - Saturday, June 3
9:00 -11:50 AM MTWTHF ML 312
Instructor: Marilyn B. Skinner (email@example.com)
Books on Reserve for Book Reports
The following books have been placed on reserve at the desk in the current
periodicals room of the main library. All are on seven-day reserve. You may select any one of these books to report on.
Since the number of books is limited, and there are a large number of students
enrolled in this course, do not wait until the last minute to do your report
assignment. Your chances of getting a book that interests you are better if you
start the assignment early.
- DG 91.B3 1975
- Balsdon, Roman Women.
- Published before the contemporary women's movement. Witty and easy to
but I would expect a careful critique of the author's assumptions.
- DG78 B37 1993
- Barton, Sorrows of the Ancient Romans.
- Not a book on ancient woman, but rather on the Roman cultural ideology of the
gladiator. Sheds interesting light on the political and sexual aspects of Roman
- HQ 1136.B38 1992
- Bauman, Women and Politics in Ancient Rome.
- Political activities of elite women.
- HQ 76.2R6 C3613 1992
- Cantarella, Bisexuality in the Ancient World.
- General survey of the evidence.
- HQ 1134.C3513
- Cantarella, Pandora's Daughters.
- Status of women in the ancient world.
- HQ 1134.D36 1994
- Demand, Birth, Death and Motherhood in Classical Greece.
- Medical and social aspects of childbearing and motherhood in antiquity.
- HQ 511.D59 1992
- Dixon, The Roman Family.
- Standard work on Roman family relations and family ideology.
- HQ 759.D59 1988
- Dixon, The Roman Mother.
- Standard work on the social construction of Roman motherhood.
- DF 93.D8
- DuBois, Centaurs and Amazons.
- Cultural meanings of those mythic emblems. Not an easy read, but
- HQ 1136.G37 1986
- Gardner, Women in Roman Law and Society.
- The standard work on Roman women's legal position.
- GN 803.G55 1982
- Gimbutas, Goddesses and Gods of Old Europe.
- Evidence for the cult of the mother-goddess and her son-consort in stone age
critical attitude--approach has been questioned.
- HQ792.G73 G65 1990
- Golden, Children and Childhood in Classical Athens.
- This is not strictly a book on ancient women, but anyone interested in the
of childhood will find it fascinating.
- HQ 1134.J87 1989
- Just, Women in Athenian Law and Life.
- Considers the status of women in Athens from a legal and ideological
- HQ 1134.K48 1985
- Keuls, The Reign of the Phallus.
- Fifth-century B.C. Athens as a "phallocracy." Relies heavily on vase
paintings; some are X-rated.
- BL 625.7K73 1992
- Kraemer, Her Share of the Blessings.
- Religious belief and practice among pagan, Jewish and Christian women.
- HQ 510.L3
- Lacey, The Family in Classical Greece.
- Still the standard work on all aspects of Greek family relations and the
organization of the household.
- PA 3016.W7 L4 1981b
- Lefkowitz, Heroines and Hysterics.
- Those interested in ancient medicine will find her second chapter quite
intriguing. Well-written, easily understood.
- BL 795.W6L44 1986B
- Lefkowitz, Women in Greek Myth.
- Attempts to explain away supposed "misogynistic" aspects of myth.
author is politically conservative.
- HQ 1127.L4 1986
- Lerner, The Creation of Patriarchy.
- Traces the social origins of patriarchal culture.
- PA 3136.L6713 l987
- Loraux, Tragic Ways of Killing a Woman.
- Deaths of women as represented in Greek tragedy.
- HQ 1137.E3P65 1984
- Pomeroy, Women in Hellenistic Egypt.
- Standard treatment of women's lives in Egypt in this era.
- HQ 1137.E3 R63 1993b
- Robins, Gay. Women in Ancient Egypt.
- A comprehensive, accessible survey of evidence for the lives of ancient
women prior to the conquest of Alexander.
- HQ 13.R6813 1988
- Rousselle, Porneia.
- Ancient male and female attitudes toward the body and health. Difficult.
- HQ 1134.S3
- Schaps, Economic Rights of Women in Ancient Greece.
- Study of women's legal position.
- PA 3074.S77 1993
- Strauss, Fathers and Sons in Athens.
- Cultural notions of fatherhood and father-son relations.
- PA 3067.S69 1989
- Snyder, The Woman and the Lyre.
- Women writers in ancient Greece and Rome.