Implementation of the guidance in this section is required for leiden conformance.
Structuring comments on the epigraphic text (tei:div type="apparatus")
Provides information on readings and conjectures. A portion of this is captured in the markup (test this), so it can be generated. But the apparatus criticus has to handle "out of line" or more general comments. Perhaps stubs can be created for each line that has conjectures in a CHET-C type conversion. This can then be edited by hand, the way CHET-C output is. There also needs to be a provision for plain text sections, which can appear interspersed with the more structured sections, or added to the line stubs.
Refer to use of <app> in TEI. Refer to markup of text content in epidoc. Discussion of <app> on Markup and TEI-L, and new P5 content model based on our recommendations.
A structured apparatus criticus or epigraphic commentary may in principle consist of four types of entries:
- General comments on the text, not tied to a particular line or section; these may be tagged as <note> within <app>, but without linking information.
- Comments on a particular line or lines of the text; these should be linked to the lines in question using the mechanism specified: <app loc="">. The <lem> element is optional in this context; the comment should be contained in a <note>, either in the <lem>, if present, or in the <app>, if not.
- Record of variant readings or alternative restorations of problematic lines (this is the only meaning of apparatus as understood by the original <tei:app> element in P4, although P5 now explicitly permits our other usages); these items should be structured with <app>, <lem>, <rdg>, and possibly <note> elements.
- Record of an comment on variants or complex layered text, similar to 3. above, but calling on the content of an <app> or <choice> element in the tagged text. The <app> element should then contain only a <ptr>, with the id attribute of the target element in the <ptr>'s target, and an optional <note>.
- <p><app><note>The squeeze is faint and inadequate where the right-hand ends of lines is concerned.</note></app></p>
- <p> <app loc="line 3"><note>The erasure in this line is indubitably deliberate but illegible.</note></app></p>
- <app loc="a 3"><lem>ἀμειβόμενοι</lem><rdg resp="Cormack"><supplied reason="lost">ἐ</supplied>|<supplied reason="lost">γερ</supplied><unclear reason="damage">σι</unclear>β<unclear reason="damage">ό</unclear><supplied reason="lost">αι</supplied> <note>rejected by Robert</note></rdg><rdg resp="Drew-Bear"><supplied reason="lost">ἀ</supplied>μειβ<unclear reason="damage">ό</unclear>μ<supplied reason="lost">ενο</supplied>ι</rdg></app>
- <choice id="choice3" /><app><ptr target="choice3" /><note>so Mommsen</note></app>
EpiDoc appearance with standard XSLT
The squeeze is faint and inadequate where the right-hand ends of lines is concerned.
line 3 The erasure in this line is indubitably deliberate but illegible.
- a 3 ἀμειβόμενοι Cormack: [ἐ]|[γερ]σ̣ι̣βό̣[αι] (rejected by Robert); Drew-Bear: [ἀ]μειβό̣μ[ενο]ι
- so Mommsen
Responsibility for this section
- Gabriel Bodard: author
- Tom Elliott: author
Revision number: $Revision: 1.7 $
Revision name (if any): $Name: r-5 $
Revision date: $Date: 2007/06/06 20:55:56 $