There are many ways to search NewScholiasts. Please don't
give up too easily! If you follow these notes your searches
will be much more productive. Send any questions you may have
- Searches are case-insensitive.
- For more comprehensive results, substitute .* for variable endings (child finds only instances of child, but
child.* finds child, child's,
childhood, children and thus works the same as child|child's|childhood|children)
- To find alternate transliterations of Greek names,
substitute a . for any letter
that could be spelled in more than one way, for example
Peri.les (for Pericles or
Perikles), or even .allima.h.s
(for Callimachus or Kallimakhos). This is important because
we aren't currently enforcing a single method of
- You may also look for certain endings. For instance,
.*phos or .*phus finds
nominative forms of names such as Telephos or Sisyphus.
- Valid Boolean expressions include
and, or and not (you
may also use & instead of
and, and | instead of or).
- If you are searching in the translator or editor field,
you may only search for a single name, without Boolean
- This form enables your searches of the NS translations