Information concerning the rooms in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Jump to:
Entranceway A
Front hall B
Room C
Room D
Room E
Garden F
Room G
Stairway 01
Room 03
Room I
Room J
Room K
Room L
Room M
Room R
Room O
Room Q
Garden P
Room N
Area S
Room T
Corridor U
Room V
Room X
Room Y
Upper Levels

Entranceway A in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This was the main entrance from the street on the east of this insula to front hall B. The walls were decorated in the Third Style, consisting of a black speckled socle zone, a black central zone divided by ornamental bands with vignettes, and a white upper zone with still lifes. The pavement was in cocciopesto with scattered fragments of white marble.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

A stone seat had been fixed to each side of the entrance on the street front (Seiler 1992:Fig. 98). No loose finds were reported here.

Interpretations of room:

None.


Front hall B in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Front hall B was entered from the east through entrance A. Rooms C and D opened off its east side, room E opened off its west side, and a narrow doorway in the south wall led to room G. Another narrow entrance in the southwest corner led to garden F. The walls were decorated in the Third Style (Seiler 1992:97), consisting of a black geometric socle, black predella, and central zone of red fields separated by black bands with candelabra and with large central panels with figured landscapes. The central field on the south wall had been cut for a panel, but this does not seem to fit logically with the previous scheme. The pavement was in cocciopesto with rows of white tesserae.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

The central catchment pool (impluvium) was unfurbished at the time of excavation (Sogliano 1906:376; Seiler 1992:Fig. 129). No finds were reported

Interpretations of room:

Florian Seiler argued (1992:101) that the decoration in this area had been repaired after the AD 62 earthquake. The evidence in room G shows that the south wall of this front hall had undergone at least two phases of repair. Maiuri (1942:114) contrasted the poor aspect of this front hall with the high-quality painting and marble in the garden area, suggesting that this area had been downgraded. If the furbishing of the central water-catchment pool (impluvium) had not been removed after the eruption, then its unfinished state would suggest that it had been out of use at the time of the eruption.


Room C in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Room C was in the northeast corner of front hall B and was entered from it through a narrow doorway in the center of the west wall. The walls of this room were decorated in the Fourth Style, consisting of a black socle zone with plants and ornamental bands and a central zone with alternating yellow and red fields containing ornamental borders, vignettes, and central panels (Leda and the Swan). Above was a First Style denticulated cornice. The latest pavement was probably in calcestruzzo (Seiler 1992:25).

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

No finds were reported.

Interpretations of room:

This room has been identified as a cubiculum (Sogliano 1906:380). Seiler (1992:104) dated its Fourth-Style decoration to the Vespasianic period.


Room D in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This room in the southeast corner of front hall B was entered from the latter through a narrow doorway in the center of the west wall. The walls were decorated in the Fourth Style, consisting of a black socle zone and a central zone of alternating red and yellow fields with ornamental borders and floating figures and separated by ornamental black bands. Above on the north wall was a denticulated cornice; the south wall had coarse plaster. The pavement was in cocciopesto with scattered white tesserae.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

The contents of this room included a marble table support, a bronze amphora with silver decoration, two bronze jugs, a spherical bronze basin, and a bronze boss and chain, possibly fittings from a chest.

Interpretations of room:

According to Seiler, the walls had been redecorated twice between AD 62 and AD 79, the south wall being left incomplete (1992:28, 102, 104). The bronze vessels and chest fittings suggest that this room may have served as a repository for dining equipment used in room G rather than as a bedroom (see Sogliano 1906:380). The presence of part of a marble table is reminiscent of salvaging activity witnessed in similar rooms in other houses. This suggests that the storage had been more complex, occurring over a period of time but after the redecoration had been left incomplete.


Room E in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This room on the west side of front hall B was entered from the latter through a wide opening that constituted most of the east wall. It also had a small doorway in the east end of the south wall that provided access to the garden area. The walls were decorated in a late Third Style (Seiler 1992:97), consisting of a black geometric socle and a central zone with a black middle field with a large central panel and yellow side fields with ornamental columns, bands of ornaments, and architectural openings. The pavement was predominantly a white mosaic with an ornamental border at the threshold and a central emblema of geometric patterns in black, red, and white tesserae (c. 1.5 m from the north, east, and west walls and c. 1.7 m from the south wall).

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

No finds were reported.

Interpretations of room:

This room is in the location generally assumed to be that of the tablinum (Sogliano 1906:380).


Garden F in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This colonnaded garden (figure D.163) constituted a large portion of the total area of the house. It was entered from front hall B through a narrow entrance in the northeast corner. Room G, stairway 01, and area 03 opened off its east side. Rooms E, I, J, K, L, and M opened off its north side. Area S and rooms R, O, and Q opened off its west side and room N off the west end of the south side. The walls were decorated in the Fourth Style, consisting of a black background with ornamental bands and decorative motifs in the socle zone; ornamental bands and floating figures in the central zone; and compartments, landscape panels, and animals in the upper zone. The pavement was predominantly in cocciopesto decorated with rows of rectangular, rhomboid, and hexagonal slabs of colored marble.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

A lararium aedicula had been built (Seiler 1992:Figs. 292-94) against the north wall of this garden between rooms I and J. It had been furbished with a cylindrical lead vase, a bronze jug, a cylindrical bronze container, and six bronze statuettes-Jupiter, Juno, Minerva, Mercury, and two Lares (Sogliano 1907:Figs. 14-17; Seiler 1992:Figs. 296-300). Near it was found a travertine altar. To the left were found a number of amphorae of various forms. A travertine puteal (Seiler 1992:Fig. 236) stood in the north ambulatory in the second intercolumniation from the northeast corner. A marble base was also found here. In the second intercolumniation from the northwest corner was found a marble mask. The southeast corner of the garden appeared to have been a shrine area painted in the Fourth Style (Sogliano 1907:Fig. 6; Fröhlich 1991:98; Seiler 1992:Figs. 270﹣75) (figure D.164). In it were found a marble Egyptian statuette (Sogliano 1907:Fig.7), a statuette of Fortuna lacking its head, the fragment of a statue of a human foot crushing a toad, two small glass amphorae, a glass storage flask, a set of scales, two decorated disks and fragments of another reportedly from locks, a slab of marble, a clay lamp decorated with Isis, and a Neronian coin.

Four reliefs mainly decorated with theatrical masks had been set into the wall of the south ambulatory and formed part of the painted decoration (Sogliano 1907:Figs. 8-13; Seiler 1992:Figs. 261, 262). A marble mask was found in the southwest corner. Another was found level with the second intercolumniation from the southwest corner and a third near the third column. A marble head of Dionysus and another relief were found in the rubble from the south wall. These reliefs and masks were believed to have hung from the architrave above the columns (Sogliano 1907:592). From the ambulatory and level with the third intercolumniation were reported two bronze bosses, possibly from a chest or cupboard; a bone tessera incised with "II"; a bone bead; and a marble Corinthian capital. In the southwest corner were found an amphora base containing red and brown paint; a granite basin, which also had traces of different colored paints; a stone disk, reportedly for grinding; and a cylindrical marble base.

Spaces in the decoration of the wall of the west ambulatory would once have had marble reliefs, as in the south ambulatory. In the west ambulatory a marble relief was found level with the first intercolumniation from the southwest corner. Another marble relief was also found in the ambulatory. On the pavement was found a bronze patera. Two plaques reportedly from a belt and fourteen glass beads were found near a column in this ambulatory. Two more marble masks found in the upper levels of the deposit must also have once been suspended from the architrave (see Sogliano 1907:592, Figs. 33-40; Dwyer 1982:129).

On the north side of the garden proper in the northeast corner a rectangular marble pilaster was found. Probably also from the northeast corner were a marble pilaster and base. Level with the first intercolumniation was a lead vase decorated with serpents. Near the third column from the northeast corner were found a marble sundial (Warscher 1948:4. No. 263) and a marble base with feline feet attached. The latter were set at an angle that suggests that the pieces did not originally belong together. Level with the third intercolumniation from the northeast corner were a marble trunk, a flat rectangular decorated marble pilaster, a rectangular marble relief decorated on both sides with theatrical masks, and the marble fragment of a club. Near the fourth intercolumniation were another pilaster and a double marble head. The base of a marble table was found near the fifth column, and a small conical marble base and the marble head of a child were found level with the fifth intercolumniation. On the south side of the garden were found a marble support, possibly for a fountain, and a marble herm, level with the first intercolumniation from the southeast corner; a marble herm, level with the second intercolumniation; a marble portrait head (Sogliano 1907:Fig. 41), level with the third intercolumniation; a rectangular marble pilaster, a rectangular marble relief, and a marble herm (used as a fountain), level with the fourth intercolumniation. Another pilaster and another marble head of Dionysus were found in the southwest corner. On the west side of the garden to the north of the steps were found a decorated marble pilaster, a rectangular relief decorated with masks, a marble table or fountain support, a small marble and slate base, and marble feet reportedly from a lamp-stand. To the south of the steps was found another decorated marble pilaster; another rectangular relief decorated with masks; and a marble statuette. In the center of the garden was a rectangular pool with an apsidal western end. In the center of the pool was a fixed cylindrical base. Nearby were found marble statuettes of a boar, a rabbit, a dog or feline killing a bird, and the herm of a male portrait. To the west of the pool was a marble fountain base. From an unknown location in the garden came a double marble head of Dionysus and Ariadne (for arrangement of garden sculpture after excavation: Sogliano 1907:Figs. 1-5; Warscher 1948:4, Nos 225-26; Seiler 1992:117-22, Figs. 205-8; for sculptural pieces: Sogliano 1906:Fig. 5; Sogliano 1907:Figs. 18-32; Seiler 1992:Figs. 530-625).

Interpretations of room:

On stylistic grounds, Seiler (1992:104) dated the decoration on the lararium aedicula to a phase of redecoration between AD 62 and AD 70. He dated the decoration on the walls and in the shrine area to a later phase-during the Vespasianic period-but believed that the marble reliefs had been set into the south wall at an earlier date (1992:104﹣5, 132). The finds of shrine paraphernalia and amphorae in the north ambulatory, shrine paraphernalia in the southeast corner, and the garden statuary suggest that this garden had been fully furnished at the time of the eruption. The finds in the south ambulatory of domestic material and industrial material in the form of pieces of marble and apparently painting equipment did not seem to have caused any obstruction to this garden as a functioning display area. As has already been observed, domestic apparatus was frequently found in the ambulatories of garden areas of Pompeian houses. The pieces for human adornment found in the west ambulatory could conceivably have been dropped during the final eruption.

It is unclear why a number of the statues in the southeast corner and in the garden were incomplete and why the arrangement of the pieces in the garden had been rather haphazard (compare those in the garden of the Casa dei Vettii). If these pieces had been broken during the eruption one might have expected the excavators to have restored them (see room 17 in the Casa dell'Efebo). Finds of fragmentary sculpture above the rooms to the north of the garden suggest that this area had been disturbed after the eruption, although this was not noted by the excavators and the quantity of material still in situ suggests any disturbance would have been light. It also seems improbable that such looters would have broken off the heads and bases of sculpture in situ and left these behind.

This garden area appears to have been completely decorated in the Fourth Style and the garden and shrine paraphernalia subsequently put in position. It is possible that some pieces then suffered damage. More certain is that painting equipment was stored or used in this area. This would probably not have happened unless the house experienced ongoing rearrangement or redecoration after the garden area had been decorated in the Fourth Style and the furnishings had been replaced.


Room G in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This large room on the east side of the garden had a wide opening onto the latter for most of the west wall. It also had a narrow doorway in the west end of the north wall leading to front hall B. The walls were decorated in the late Third Style, consisting of a black socle zone with vignettes of formal gardens and yellow paneled predellae and a central zone of red fields with a central aedicula and large figured central panels in the middle field and ornamental bands in the side fields separated by ornamental columns. The pavement was predominantly white mosaic with a black border and central emblema (c. 1.5 m from the east wall, 1 m from the north and south walls, and 1.85 m from the south wall) consisting of a circular pattern of radiating triangles inside a square with vegetal elements in the corners.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

The finds here included a ceramic jug inscribed with "GARI" and "FLOS," a bronze jug, a circular bronze lock plate and tongue, and a bronze signet ring incised "CN HA."

Interpretations of room:

This room has been referred to as an exedra and has been thought to have been a dining room (Sogliano 1906:376). Seiler (1992:32, 35, 97﹣99) observed that the north wall had collapsed, that the Third Style decoration had been repaired in a Fourth Style imitation, and that the mosaic had been repaired. He attributed this collapse to the AD 62 earthquake, but this later decoration had subsequently been damaged and repaired. The finds from this room were limited but hint at the presence of a storage container (see room 10 in the Casa della Venere in Bikini, room 11 in the Casa del Menandro, and room e in House I 7,19). A ceramic jar might seem a rather utilitarian vessel for this formal area.


Stairway 01 in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This was a long narrow space that led from the east side of garden F to rooms above room G (Seiler 1992:37). The south wall, at least, had been plastered.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

This space was taken up with a wooden stairway leading from the garden to rooms above shop VI 16,6. No loose finds were reported.

Interpretations of room:

None


Room 03 in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This relatively shallow space on the east side of garden F was fully open onto the latter along its west side. The walls were furbished with coarse plaster. There is no record or visible evidence of a pavement.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

This area was filled with a wooden cupboard (Seiler 1992:Fig. 278), but no loose finds were reported.

Interpretations of room:

This cupboard indicates intended storage in the garden area but it does not appear to have been in use at the time of the eruption.


Room I in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This room on the north side of the garden was entered from it through a narrow doorway in the center of the south wall. The walls were decorated in the Fourth Style, consisting of an imitation marble socle zone; a central zone with a yellow wallpaper pattern of hexagons, rhomboids, and squares with floral motifs in red and with insets of gilded glass disks depicting cupids (for example, Sogliano 1908:Figs. 5-6; Seiler 1992:Figs. 312-315); and an upper zone of coarse plaster (figure D.165). The pavement was predominantly white mosaic with patterned borders delineating the northern and western sections of the room and with a plain black bordered square in the southeast section.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

Four glass disks decorated with gilded cupids were set into the walls of this room. Ten bone hinges, fragments of a set of scales, a bronze lamp-stand, and a bronze lamp were found near the threshold. Five coins were also found here.

Interpretations of room:

This room has been identified as a cubiculum (Sogliano 1908:34; Seiler 1992:49). Seiler argued that the wall decoration was stylistically similar to that of the lararium aedicula in the garden area, which he dated to the Neronian period, between AD 62 and AD 70. The loose finds indicate that a cupboard or chest containing lighting and weighing equipment had stood either in this room or immediately outside it in the ambulatory. Such finds, particularly weighing equipment, might seem atypical furnishings for what was considered to have been a bedroom.


Room J in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This long narrow room on the north side of the garden was entered from it through a narrow room doorway towards the center of the south wall. The walls had coarse pink plaster to 2.1 m above the floor with white plaster above. The pavement was in cocciopesto.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

This room had wooden shelves along the east and north walls. The finds included two small lock plates with tongues, a large marble mortar reportedly for grinding pigments, a bronze jug, and a bronze strigil.

Interpretations of room:

The shelving evidence has been used to identify this room as a storeroom (Sogliano 1908:36). The limited finds suggest mixed utilitarian and personal activities.


Room K in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This relatively small room on the north side of the garden (figure D.166) was entered from it through a narrow doorway at the east end of the south wall. There is no record or evidence of wall covering. The pavement consisted of large rectangular terra-cotta tiles.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

This room had been a latrine. The loose finds included an iron cone with traces of wood and four bronze coins.

Interpretations of room:

None.


Room L in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This room on the north side of the garden was entered from it through a narrow doorway at the east end of the south wall. It also had a small window in the south wall overlooking the garden. The walls were furbished with white plaster, and the pavement was cocciopesto.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

There is evidence of two rows of wooden shelving along the north wall of this room and a cistern mouth near the southwest corner (Seiler 1992:Figs. 340-42). The finds included a bronze patera, a small glass bottle, and an iron ring, to which was attached four iron strigils. These have been identified as bathing equipment. A small bone spoon was also found near this equipment.

Interpretations of room:

This room has been identified as a storeroom (Sogliano 1908:37). The finds were apparently related to toilet activities. If this was a functional storeroom, it is curious that no further finds were recorded from here. This contrasts with apparent evidence of storage in the decorated rooms D and I.


Room M in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This relatively large room was on the north side of the garden. The walls were decorated in a black Fourth Style. The socle zone had plants, garlands, and ornamental bands. The central zone had a central aedicula and floral borders in the central and side fields, and the upper zone had ornamental bands and decorative motifs. The pavement was cocciopesto with a carpet pattern consisting of a lattice of squares and hexagons in white tesserae.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

Near the threshold of this room were found four guardispigoli and one ring handle.

Interpretations of room:

Seiler (1992:55) has identified this as a cubiculum. He dated its decoration to the Vespasianic period. The finds suggest the presence of a piece of furniture, possibly a container, either in this room or immediately outside it.


Room R in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This room on the west side of the garden was entered from it through a narrow doorway towards the center of the east wall. The walls were decorated in the Fourth Style, consisting of a red socle zone with garlands and plants; a yellow central zone with ornamental borders, central panels (Leda and the swan, Aphrodite fishing, and Artemis and Actaeon) and medallions in the side fields; and a white upper zone with garlands, ornamental bands, and architectural motifs. The ceiling was stuccoed and decorated with squares containing hexagons, squares, circles, and vegetal motifs. The pavement was in cocciopesto with a woven pattern formed by rows of white tesserae in rectangles.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

This room had a breach in the south wall towards the east end and corresponding to one of those in room O.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

Seiler (1992:55) has attributed finds to this room that were more probably found on the threshold of adjoining area S.

Interpretations of room:

Seiler (1992:55) identified this room as a cubiculum and dated its decoration to the Vespasianic period. It may have contained a cupboard or chest.


Room O in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This large room on the west side of the garden (figure D.167) was entered from it through a wide opening in the east wall. The walls were covered in coarse plaster. The pavement in the central and eastern section of the room had been removed, leaving an imprint of what has been considered (see PPP II:352) to be an opus sectile pavement. The remaining pavement, in c. 2m strips along the south, west, and north walls, was cocciopesto with an overall pattern of squares formed by rows of white tesserae.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

The north wall of this room had five breaches and the south wall had three. Four large ones are near floor level, and four smaller ones are c. 2 m above the floor (Seiler 1992:62).

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

No finds were reported.

Interpretations of room:

The excavators reported that the imprint of the pavement indicated the locations of dining couches along the north, west, and south walls (Sogliano 1908:38﹣39; Seiler 1992:Fig. 446). According to Maiuri (1942:114; see also Seiler 1992:62), this room was the principal triclinium of the house. However, its walls had only coarse plaster at the time of the eruption. The excavators deduced that the marble pavement had been removed by post-eruption intruders (GdSc A,VI,4:171). The evident breaches suggest that this room had been heavily looted. It is likely that a room with only coarse plaster on the walls may not have had an elaborate pavement or furnishings at the time of the eruption. The total removal of the marble pavement without disturbing its bed or leaving any trace suggests that this pavement could have already been stripped prior to the eruption.


Room Q in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Room Q was in the southwest corner of the garden and was entered from it through a narrow doorway in the center of the east wall. The walls were decorated in the Fourth Style, consisting of a red socle zone with garlands and ornamental bands, a central zone with white fields bordered by garlands and containing floating figures of the seasons and of cupids, and a white upper zone with architectural elements, garlands, and landscape panels. The pavement was cocciopesto and was decorated with a carpet pattern of a lattice of rhomboids, circles, and squares in white tesserae.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

This room had three breaches in the north wall corresponding to those in room O and one in the south wall at the east end and at ground level.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

No finds were reported.

Interpretations of room:

This room has been identified as a cubiculum (Seiler 1992:59). Seiler dated its decoration to the Vespasianic period.


Garden P in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Garden P is in the southwest corner of the house. It was overlooked by room O through a window in the north wall and by room Q through a window in the east wall. Maiuri observed (1942:114) that the walls had coarse plaster.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

A number of amphorae were reported from here.

Interpretations of room:

According to Seiler, this was a light well (1992:63).


Room N in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Room N was the only room on the south side of the garden. It was situated towards the west end of the garden area and entered from it through a narrow door in the center of the north wall. The walls were decorated in the Fourth Style, consisting of a red socle with plants, garlands, and ornamental bands; a central zone of yellow fields with ornamental borders separated by vegetal candelabra against a red ground; and a yellow upper zone with architecture and small panels. The pavement was cocciopesto decorated with black and white tesserae.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

Footholds had been made into the south wall near the southeast corner (figure D.168).

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

No finds were reported.

Interpretations of room:

According to Seiler (1992:63), this was a cubiculum decorated during the final phase before AD 79 (1992:104).


Area S in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This area in the northwest corner of the garden was entered from it through a narrow doorway in the east end. The south wall had remains of a pink socle with coarse plaster above, and the pavement was of beaten earth (Seiler 1992:66).

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

A wooden stairway ran along the north wall of this area, commencing at the east end. Loose finds from near the threshold included a ring handle, two rectangular lock plates, and four more rings. These suggest that there may have been a cupboard or chest in this area.

Interpretations of room:

This area has been identified as a passage or courtyard leading to the back entrance to this house (Sogliano 1908:42). The stairway must have led to rooms above this area, that is above rooms R, T, U, X, Y.


Room T in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

This room in the southwest corner of area S was entered from it through a narrow doorway in the north end of the east wall. The walls probably had only the remains of fine plastering at the time of the eruption (Seiler 1992:67; compare Sogliano 1908:421). The pavement was cocciopesto with scattered white tesserae.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

During cleaning in 1981, Seiler recorded (1992:69) numerous fragments of coarse pottery, a fragment of a lamp, and a glass fragment.

Interpretations of room:

None.


Corridor U in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Corridor U led from the street to the west of this insula into area S. Room Y opened off its north side. The south and north walls had remains of coarse plaster, and the pavement was of beaten earth (Seiler 1992:66).

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

No finds were reported.

Interpretations of room:

This was possibly the back entrance to the house.


Room V in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Room V was in the northeast corner of area S and was entered from it through its open west side. The walls were furbished with plaster (Seiler 1992:69), and the pavement had strips of limestone.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

This room had a bench along the north wall, from the east end. At the west end of this bench was a circular fusorium (Seiler 1992:Fig. 493). A wooden stairway ran along the south wall, commencing from the west end. No loose finds were reported during the original excavations. During cleaning in 1981 Seiler recorded (1992:69) the following finds near the base of the stairway: a bronze furniture foot in the form of a lion's foot (Seiler 1992:Figs. 527-28), a fragment of a bone hinge, a fragment of a clay lamp, and various glass fragments.

Interpretations of room:

The room has been identified as the kitchen (Sogliano 1908:42; Seiler 1992:68). The stairway seems to have led to rooms above rooms I to M.


Room X in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Room X on the north side of area S was open along its east side onto room V and area S. The walls were plastered, and the western end had a tiled pavement.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

This room had an central water-catchment pool (impluvium) of cocciopesto in the northeast corner, a cistern mouth against the north wall, and a latrine along the west side (Seiler 1992:68-69, Figs. 495-96). No loose finds were recorded.

Interpretations of room:

This has been identified as the latrine (Sogliano 1908:43; Seiler 1992:68).


Room Y in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Room Y was on the north side of corridor U and was entered from it through a narrow doorway in the east end of the south wall. There was evidence of painted wall plaster that had later been covered by a high yellow socle with a white upper zone. The pavement consisted of packed fragments of plaster, cement, limestone, and tiles (Seiler 1992:68).

Condition of volcanic deposit:

No stratigraphic information.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

In this room were found a bronze foot with wood attached, two bronze furniture ornaments inlaid with silver, and the full-sized marble bust of a young woman (Sogliano 1908:Fig. 8; Seiler 1992:Fig. 626-31).

Interpretations of room:

The recorded finds might seem out of place in what has been considered a service area of the house. They may have been salvaged material, as in room D. The bust could conceivably have been a piece of garden statuary. This is a similar situation to the statues found in the kitchens of the Casa dei Ceii,Casa dei Vettii and House VI 16,26. This material was perhaps moved here during some disruption to the garden prior to the final eruption. Neither the finds nor the location seem to substantiate Seiler's identification (1992:67) of this room as a cubiculum.


Upper Levels in Casa degli Amorini Dorati

Description of room:

Two stairways in the northwest part of the house suggest upper-story rooms in this area and conceivably separate apartments, one possibly above the back entrance area and the other above the rooms to the north of the garden. The stairway in corridor 01 might have led to an upper story above the area of room G and shop VI 16,6.

Condition of volcanic deposit:

The excavators noted (GdSc A,VI,4:121) that the upper levels of the volcanic deposit in the southern area of this insula had been disturbed.

Summary of Finds and Fixtures Distribution:

From the upper levels of the volcanic deposit on the north side of the house were recorded a fragment of a marble table, a marble herm, a marble protome, and a marble head from a herm. In the lapilli in the east ambulatory of the garden were found three small glass bottles and two bronze coins. In the upper levels on the south side of the house were found a bronze vessel handle; three sheets of mother-of-pearl, one in a bronze frame; and an oval glass sheet inscribed in bronze. Above the south side of the front hall were found two skeletons. One had an iron finger ring with a cornelian inlay. A bronze coin was found with them. In front of entrance A were found a small bronze amphora and two bronze jugs.

Other provenanced finds, some in humic material, included a glass cup, a silver cup handle, a ceramic cup containing red paint, a ring handle, and a bronze lock plate.

Interpretations of room:

Most of the finds from the upper levels of the volcanic deposit were small and fragmentary and imply post-eruption disturbance to the volcanic deposit. Those found in humic material must have been disturbed. It is impossible to assess whether the skeletons were those of occupants of upper-level rooms, those of occupants who had been climbing out of the area during the eruption, or whether they had been redeposited at this level, possibly from lower levels within this house, after disturbance.