Search the untranslated source text of the Suda for items of interest:
Important notes about searches with this form:
- Above all, please do not type English words into this form: this facility does not search the translations, it searches the full transliterated source text.
- If you are looking for a particular Adler number, e.g. beta 34, just type
the number, e.g. 34, into the form (not the "beta")
- To succeed at finding text here you must use transliterated Greek; represent eta and omega simply as e and o, respectively; make no effort to indicate accents (example: sophrosune)
- To get inflected forms of a word, first truncate the inflectional endings and then append a dot plus an
asterisk after the stem; for example, to get results with all forms of the name Archilochos, type in archiloch.* (searches are case insensitive); or if you want all the inflected forms of ioudaios, type in ioudai.* (you need the dot and the asterisk)
- Hey, re-read that last one -- it's important! For instance, agalma will only return 59 matches, but agalma.* will return 95 matches.
- To get results containing rhetor or sophist, type in rhetor.*|sophist.*. Note that you may add as many additional terms as you like: for example, if you want to find entries about music, you might pile up a number of terms, like this: chord.*|harmoni.*|lura.*|barbit.*|aulet.*|salping.*|kithar.*|psalt.*
- To get results containing rhetor and sophist, type in rhetor.* sophist.* (you may add additional terms)
- You may also look for certain endings. For instance, .*kles will return all the nominative forms of names such as Sophokles or Perikles present in the Suda.
- Results are limited to 750 items (if this creates a special problem for you, please let us know)
- Note that we also provide a way for you to browse alphabetical lists of the headwords.
This document was last updated
July 24, 2014.
Suda On Line Start Page
This document was last updated Thursday July 24, 2014.